A collaborative effort between Robert A.M. Stern Architects and Soderstrom, Dundon-Berchtold Hall is the newest academic building to be constructed at the University of Portland. Located at the center of campus, it will provide sixteen new classrooms, faculty offices, a 150-person auditorium and a range of student support spaces. The classrooms will be in several different sizes and configurations, including tiered “horseshoe” lecture classrooms, tiered cluster classrooms and flexible flat floor classrooms. The building will also house the Dundon-Berchtold Ethics study center and career services.
The building footprint creates a new academic quadrangle facing Waldschmidt Hall, constructed in 1891 and the oldest building on the University of Portland campus. A strong desire from both the University and the donor led the design team towards a classic, collegiate Gothic expression for the building architecture, complementing the appearance of the adjacent Romanaggi Hall. The building will feature brick, cast stone, slate and copper details.
University of Portland
classrooms, faculty offices, auditorium, student support spaces, study center, career services